Astrophysics Science Division (660) Highlights
Press Releases & Feature Stories
- This image shows Arp 230, also known as IC 51, observed by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.
- This NASA Hubble Space Telescope photo of NGC 7714 presents an especially striking view of the galaxy's smoke-ring-like structure.
See Division Press Releases & Feature Stories Archive »
- In this image the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope takes a close look at the spiral galaxy NGC 4217, located 60 million light-years away from Earth.
Liz Hays Elected as a New Fellow of the American Physical Society
Please congratulate Liz Hays for being elected as a new Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS). This is quite an honor -- only 0.5% of APS members are elected to be Fellows each year.
NICER Passes CDR!
The NICER team has passed their Critical Design Review. Great job!
See Division News Archive »
TESS passes PDR!
The TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) recently
passed their PDR, and confirmation (KDP-C) of the mission is scheduled for
- This image from the Hubble Space Telescope shows galaxy NGC 4485 in the constellation of Canes Venatici (The Hunting Dogs). The galaxy is irregular in shape, but it hasn’t always been so.
- This still image from a supercomputer simulation shows one of the most violent events in the universe: a pair of neutron stars colliding, merging and forming a black hole.
See Division Image Archive »
- A study of NGC 2024 and the Orion Nebula Cluster suggest that the stars on the outskirts of these clusters are older than those in the central regions, contrary to previous ideas about star formation.