Astrophysics Science Division (660) Highlights
Press Releases & Feature Stories
- NASA has selected SpaceX to provide launch services for the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) mission.
- Each day, thunderstorms around the world produce about a thousand quick bursts of gamma rays, some of the highest-energy light naturally found on Earth.
Related YouTube video
See Division Press Releases & Feature Stories Archive »
- The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope observes some of the most beautiful galaxies in our skies.
Liz Hays Elected as a New Fellow of the American Physical Society
Please congratulate Liz Hays for being elected as a new Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS). This is quite an honor -- only 0.5% of APS members are elected to be Fellows each year.
NICER Passes CDR!
The NICER team has passed their Critical Design Review. Great job!
See Division News Archive »
TESS passes PDR!
The TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) recently
passed their PDR, and confirmation (KDP-C) of the mission is scheduled for
- This image from the Hubble Space Telescope shows galaxy NGC 4485 in the constellation of Canes Venatici (The Hunting Dogs). The galaxy is irregular in shape, but it hasn’t always been so.
- This still image from a supercomputer simulation shows one of the most violent events in the universe: a pair of neutron stars colliding, merging and forming a black hole.
See Division Image Archive »
- A study of NGC 2024 and the Orion Nebula Cluster suggest that the stars on the outskirts of these clusters are older than those in the central regions, contrary to previous ideas about star formation.