Astrophysics Science Division (660) Highlights
Press Releases & Feature Stories
- Using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers now can precisely measure the distance of stars up to 10,000 light-years away -- 10 times farther than previously possible.
- The last piece of the James Webb Space Telescope's heart was installed inside the world's largest clean room at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center.
See Division Press Releases & Feature Stories Archive »
- NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has weighed the largest known galaxy cluster in the distant universe, catalogued as ACT-CL J0102-4915, and found it definitely lives up to its nickname -- El Gordo.
The last piece of the James Webb Space Telescope's heart was installed inside the world's largest clean room. Read about it in the latest issue of the Goddard View. (Volume 10, Issue 14)
NICER team passes KDP-C review
The NICER team successfully passed their KDP-C review, allowing the mission to enter phase C/D. Congrats to Keith Gendreau and his team!
See Division News Archive »
2013 Robert H. Goddard Awards for ASD
Science (Individual and Team Recognition) Elizabeth Hays (661), Aki Roberge (667), Charles Bowers (667)
Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity (Individual and Team Recognition John Baker (663), Jane Rigby (665)
Mentoring (Individual and Team Recognition) The Balloon Experimental Twin Telescope for Infrared Interferometry (BETTII) Team - Stephen Rinehart (665)
Outreach (Individual and Team Recognition) Amber Straughn (665)
Robert H. Goddard Award of Merit (Individual Only) Alice Harding (663)
- The images demonstrate Hubble's powerful infrared vision and reveal a shadowy, dense knot of gas and dust sharply contrasted against a backdrop of brilliant glowing gas in the Monkey Head Nebula.
- Multiple images of a distant quasar are visible in this combined view from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Hubble Space Telescope.
See Division Image Archive »
- This composite image of a supernova explosion called SN 2014J in the galaxy M82 is an HST image of the closest supernova of its type discovered in the past few decades.